Wednesday 8 February 2012

Kiddo's all time favourite books

I think I've mentioned this in the past, Kiddo is a rather advanced reader. She enjoys stuff that is sometimes geared at the young adult level rather than for a 7 year old. I make sure it has none of that boy-girl 'stuff' but otherwise pretty much let her pick her own books. After all, she'll probably reread them over and over... Which means it's economical right?

Anyhow, I figured I'd put this list up in case someone else has an advanced reader and needs some book ideas. BTW if anyone is willing to share their list, I would be VERY grateful :)

So here it is...

Favourites:
1) Anything written by Adeline Yen Mah - She loves the Chinese Cinderella books and rereads them over and over

2) Luka and the fire of life - This is by Salman Rushdie. Written for his son and it's a lovely adventure story. Each person who reads it will see something different. Both kiddo and The Man got different conclusions from it and it's on my pile of kiddo-recommended books to read

3)The ark, the reed, and the fire cloud - by Jenny L. Cote. New favourite given to her by an aunt (also the parent of an advanced reader). It's about Max (scottie terrier) and Liz (cat) and their adventures in the times of the bible. Wonderful book.

4)Mao's Last Dancer - by Li Cunxin. About a Chinese ballet dancer and how he defected to America.

5)Half upon a time - by James Riley. This is a swell book! It's a new take on the fairy tales we grew up with. Another family favourite. By which I mean she reads it, then forces it on us because of how 'amazing' it is. Have to admit, I've read a couple of real gems this way.

6)21 balloons - by William Pene Dubois. She was thrilled it featured Krakatoa. I haven't got around to it yet but The Man says it's pretty good too.

Everything else she likes belongs in the secondary list. ie Geronimo Stilton, Thea Stilton, fairies, mermaids, princesses, Enid Blytons etc etc etc

Final thought about books. If available, get a kindle. The savings we have made on the books bought via kindle have already more than paid for the device... In fact, the savings have probably paid for my ipad too. Our family devours books, so despite liking the feel of a paper book, I'll go with the savings any day!

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mei, apologies for contacting you via a comment on your blog, but there was no other contact details given on your site. I'm the editor of ExpatArrivals.com, a site devoted to developing comprehensive destination guides aimed at easing expat transition abroad. I came across your blog through the course of my research on Indonesia. We are currently in the process of creating a new guide for Indonesia and I was hoping I could convince you to share some of your expat insight with our site.

Please let me know if you'd be interested in contributing, and do note that in exchange, I can provide you with promotional profile space on our site that you can use to levy exposure for your own pursuits, such as your blog or business. If you are interested please contact me on catherine@expatarrivals

Thanks you!

Mei said...

Hi there, I'd be happy to help. I've just recently moved back to Kuala Lumpur, so if you want to pick my brains, do it soon before I forget details :)