Friday 11 December 2009

And the madness has passed... for now...

We're finally in our new place. The glorious Pakubuwono Residences. Sweet! No more worrying about what stranger has decided to momentarily squat at our place without us knowing, no more Kemang traffic... Hello (many) pools, gym, shop, ATM, Daily Bread, restaurant, dry cleaners, pharmacy, sundry shop... most of all, friends everywhere!!

The moving was amazingly painless. We ended up using IMS (International Movers & Storage) because they had the best telephone etiquette, the most helpful contact person and the most reasonable prices (
1st day, they were 30mins early (I know! Unbelievable!). I wasn't back yet, but they called and I was more than happy for them to start. By the time I got back at 9am after dropping the kid, they had already practically completely packed her room and teams was moving into the master bedroom, kitchen AND dining room. In fact, I seemed to be constantly tripping over them. When I asked the supervisor how many people there were, his reply was, '19, Ibu.' 19?? You're kidding! When we moved from London to KL, we had 4. And it took them 2 days to pack an apartment... In any case, by the time 2pm rolled around, the whole house except for the living room and service areas was packed and loaded. Amazing. Very impressed. Long story short, everything was into the new place by the next day at 3pm. I actually sent them home then although they were suppose to help me unpack. But I was too slow for them and was rather afraid of being overwhelmed by things just sitting on the floor. I hadn't yet decided where to put half the stuff. Only that it was NOT going to be in the same rooms as the old house. Not helpful to them...

The next 2 days were a flurry of unpacking. I found out that The Man is ace at unpacking boxes and shoving things into any available nook and cranny. Except that he DOESN'T really unpack anything! Found out the hard way when I opened a supposedly empty cupboard and a FULL bag fell on me! Aaannnnyyyyyway, we're all (mostly) unpacked and (very happily) settled in now. The only thing IMS messed up was they forgot The Man's sports socks. Those of you who know him know what a disaster that is... A suggestion to buy a temporary pair was greeted with a disgusted snort. HIS socks are SPECIAL... Not the standard CHEAPOS... What. Ever. See if I ever try to help again... Still I eventually found them when I went to hand back the keys. I reckon the movers thought no one wanted them anymore seeing as all were grubby and looked like something the dog rejected (or ejected).

All in all, the last week has flown by. We were somewhere else one day, here the next... The only breakage was by me when I unrolled an interesting looking bubble wrap ball and had a round tealight holder crash to the floor. D'oh! Note to self, bubble wrap= fragile. Don't hold one end and unspool. Luckily it was a Rp10,000 (USD1) tealight holder from ACE and not some irreplaceable family heirloom.

Have decided that from now on, I shall only use IMS for moving. The were great! And hearing some of my friends' horror stories from other 'reputable' companies... No competition at all.

No comments: