Thursday 28 January 2010

No more penguins! Yay!

That's it! The end of the whole penguin issue! For those who were not previously aware, kiddo has spent the last 6 weeks rehearsing for a preschool oratorical competition. I know, I know... My first reaction was to burst out laughing and to tell the teacher that there was no way on this green earth that MY kid would ever agree to go up and speak on stage. Nope. Not happening. But Daddy and I thought, well, it's a good opportunity, she should be given the chance and not stopped because of her parent's hang ups... In the end, I'm glad I did.

We rehearsed at home till she was confident, then she practiced a bit in school. But it wasn't till yesterday that I found out that she wasn't doing any of the actions at school because she felt too self-conscious. Oh well, too late to do anything and my kid definitely isn't the performing type anyway. So we spent all yesterday repeating 'Don't forget your actions...!' till I felt like a broken record. All to no avail...

Today's event was organised by the Singapore International School in Kebon Jeruk, just out of central Jakarta. Except we got lost, and spent an hour going around that area. Not nice. Still, we got there on time, and kiddo was quite happily chatting to her friends. Although there WAS a little moment when she spotted the stage and I thought she was going to balk right there and then and demand to go home.

Kiddo was 3rd on the list. Her friends were 1 and 2. Talk about pressure! She was a great little trouper. Delivered her spiel flawlessly. But... NO ACTIONS!!! ARRGHHHH! I could've ripped my hair out! Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that she did it let alone so smoothly, but she (and we) had been working on it for 6 weeks! For her to suddenly omit it was sooo disappointing... Anyway... What's done is done. The kids who won were very, very good. Regular little show people. Although, I'm convinced that if she did her actions, she would have won *wink*.

In any case, there is much more to life than this. At least now she (and we) know that she is definitely capable of speaking in public. Performing though, is a whole different ball game.

Well done Kiddo! Daddy and Mummy are SUPER proud of you.

2 comments:

Liza Yon said...

Ya great job!! oh btw did u get the cheese cake? hope so... after coming all that way.

shapingshadows said...

So is grandma.....at least we got to see the whole thing, action and all. Good stuff. She is only 5+.