Thursday 7 January 2010

Werner- the culinary maestro

Back in KL, in an old rehabbed alleyway (Changkat Tung Shin) that used to house dilapidated old buildings (and incidentally, my Dad's old family home), sit 4 of the most amazing European restaurants to be found. There's a wine cellar too, but that's not open yet. They are : El Cerdo (the piggy place), El Cerdito (the Tapas place), Lavaca (the beef place) and Piza (the pizza place (duh), which is the site of my Dad's old family house in the days when Pudu was considered suburban). Actually there's a little sign that says 'Werner's on Changkat Bukit Bintang'. Not sure what it's referring to, but it's very apt since it looks like he might be gradually taking over the whole street. I have but one thing to say... Bring it on Werner! I'll be there! (And so will my Dad, and cousins, and a whole host of other people who think Werner is a genius with food!)

Every time we go back on holiday, it's at least 1 if not 2 trips to El Cerdo. Werner must have started it about 5 years back. Possibly less. But the first I remember of it is my Dad taking me and a very little kiddo there for lunch when we happened to go by his clinic one day. In those days, it was a little, narrow, cubbyhole of a restaurant and honestly, we had our doubts that an upmarket (as opposed to your regular char siew stalls or family Chinese restaurants) piggy restaurant would survive long in a Muslim country. Especially since it was tucked away in a rather awkward place. In those days, there were only a couple of dingy looking pubs there and the parking was impossible. Werner and his nephew Andreas were there all the time, and the place was near deserted the afternoon we went. They were lovely towards kiddo (always a big plus), supplying her with colouring pencils and a piggy picture to colour in even though she was too little to do any of that. Since it was so quiet, the waitresses even came by and helped her do the colouring!! That's service for you... The food was AMAZING!!! The Jamon Serrano with rock melon even better than I remembered having in Spain. They even specially boiled pasta and brocolli for kiddo who, as expected, wouldn't touch anything on the menu.

Fast forward a few years to December 2009. Werner now has the 4 places up and running, countless renovations under his belt, and to hear my Dad describe it, is well on his way to monopolizing that street. There is also ample parking. Yay! And the dingy pubs are no longer dingy. Quite 'happening' now. Dad has got to know Werner quite well, and when Lavaca opened, was given a complimentary table to invite his friends! Wow... Stuff like that NEVER happens to me. According to Dad, Werner has worked all over the world, from Spain to Brazil. Ask him where he's from, and he'll say all over. Never got the details right since I'm usually too busy stuffing my face to pay attention to the 'grown ups' (go home, and I revert to being a kid again!) talk, but I think Werner is either German or Austrian. Hmm... Maybe Swiss... Ok, I'll stop now before I get more off mark.

I am delighted to say that over the past few years, the standards of his offerings have not dropped in the slightest. He's going from strength to strength and I VERY eagerly await what he's going to do next.

Last Saturday though, was truly something to write about... We (The Man, kiddo and I) had been to the new beef place with the Monkey family on the 26th and had a fabulous time. But The Man wanted the roasted suckling pig at ElCerdo, and I wanted MORE beef. After listening to us bicker about it for a while (a very SHORT while, it's my Dad after all, patience of a 2 year old except when it comes to his princess. That's the kiddo folks, not me, I'm just her PA :)... Just KIDDING Dad!!!), he suddenly whipped out his phone and called the ever capable Monica, Werner's right-hand-woman. Next thing you know, he arranged for dinner party of 16(!!) at ElCerdo, with beef coming over from Lavaca! They were willing to do him a favour 'cause he regularly does things like host dinners for 20 I guess. In any case, moos could go to the oink place but not the other way.

All I can says is, I salivate just remembering the food. I also remember that at one point I seriously thought that what the Romans used to do at banquets was very sensible (google it if you haven't got what I mean). The menu was as follows :
Starters - Jamon Serrano from Spain (RM38,~$10), Cesar's Salad (RM26), 4 different mini Sausages with sauerkraut and mash (RM24.50), Prawn cocktail (lost track for a bit while stuffing my face, so didn't get the price for this), Pork shoulder steak with foie gras (a New Year special, no price as not on the main menu- supremely yummy)
Mains - Wagyu rump (RM78- the MOST amazingly tender bum of a cow I've ever had the pleasure of sinking my teeth into *slurp*), Rib Eye (RM108), Slow cooked tender ribs (RM65), Roasted suckling pig (1/2 for 2 RM118, 1 for 4 RM219).
Dessert - Churros dipped in chocolate, apple crumble with ice cream (by now I was in NO shape to even look at the menu, so no prices. Sorry)

Like I said, not cheap, but worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!! When the roasted suckling pig is served, they offer you a plate to cut it with as proof of how tender it is. Word to the wise, unless you want to eat piggy chips, go ahead and make the first cut like they want you to, then give it over to the pros... You then have to smash the plate in a bucket. By putting your hands at certain points on the plate, you wish for love or money... Leave it to you to decide if if works. Werner allowed kiddo to smash an extra plate after she had so much fun with the first, thus forever ensuring a loyal customer in her.

They have a great selection of booze. But if you bring your own, be warned that corkage is steep. RM80 for wines and RM130 for hard liquor. They will provide the decanters if needed as well as water/ soda for mixing though.

All in all, Werner's restaurants are not to be missed. Can't wait for March when I go back again...

1 comment:

Mrs Top Monkey said...

Mrs Monkey fully agrees with every word of this post. Go Werner! Go Werner! I'm forever grateful to Simon for dragging me there one night when they were still in their old place and I was just hooked. Jamon serrano... c'mon jamon... come to mommyyyyyyy... yum, yum!

Guess oink can't go to moo place if they want to preserve its halalness?