Sunday 11 October 2009

Amusing thoughts while husband is away on business...

Last night while lying in bed desperately trying to fall asleep after having, again, dropped off for a mini nap at 10, I considered the differences between having my beloved husband home vs. away on business...

Pros :
  • Not getting woken up by his alarm at 530am on weekdays (work) and 430am on Sundays (running).
  • Not having to restrict myself to 6 inches of bed to accommodate his sprawling. Mind you, we have a king sized bed, and before that, a queen. Regardless of the size of the bed, I always get only 6 inches. Never realized how big a king actually is until last night when I lay on my side and stretched my leg aallll the way over to his side and STILL couldn't reach the edge. I guess a 6 footer requires more space then a 5 foot 1-er...
  • Not having to mediate between him and the kid when they wind each other up.
  • Being able to hop off shopping at the weekends. Hubs HATES shopping, so we rarely go with him. And it's great fun shopping with kiddo. She's has the funniest observations. We were shopping for stuff to put in an orphanage gift box today and she suggested some flowers because, 'they're sooo pretty and it'll make the little girl feel better...'
  • Being able to eat leftovers if I feel like it
  • Not having to fight over the computer.
Cons :
  • No one to talk to who doesn't occasionally whine like a steam engine with rusty breaks.
  • Having to answer all the 'why' questions on my own without being able to say to daddy, 'tag you're it'.
  • No one to talk to at the end of the day.
  • No one to talk to in the middle of the day
  • No one to show all my little crafty bits who will always say they're nice even if they suck. I always know anyway, he gets that deer caught in headlights look when he wants to say something's horrid but is afraid I'll get really upset by it.
I fell asleep at that point... Unfortunately, this periodic separation is part and parcel of the job. I miss my honey, but he loves his job and we get to enjoy lovely things because of it. So I just tell myself to enjoy that lovely big bed when he's away and (try, very, very hard) not to complain (too much) when he's around. After all, a couple of weeks every few months is small enough price to pay. And, tonight, I shall sleep in the MIDDLE of the bed...

1 comment:

Yin said...

Oh my god after months of sharing our bed with one or the other of the two (Izzy has promised to move back to hers once our house guests leave if we get her some Dora Explorer set) a whole king-sized bed to yourself sounds bliss!