Monday 12 October 2009

Day 5 : Hindsight is 20-20

I did something really, really idiotic today. Honestly, I know better than to bring up the issue of the dreaded vaccinations too much in advance, but I thought the kid would do better with some warning. After all, she doesn't like surprises. And it's only 4 days!! Well, more fool me. She started sobbing in the most heartbroken manner, kept going on and on about needing to have the ice pack and pretty plasters ready, not to mention the endless, 'I want daddy!!!! I want both of you to be there to cuddle meeee!!!' Come on. Please. He has NEVER been there for any of her jabs. Seriously, 'Can I have a half day off? My kid is having her jabs and I need to be there to cuddle her.' I can already imagine the looks. And to cap it off, in the middle of all the caterwauling, she suddenly declared, 'I wish it were already Thursday!' Huh? Come again? I thought you didn't want it!

We go through this whole vaccination melodrama every year. Last year it was the flu jab, this year the flu jab AND the regular scheduled boosters. Haven't even told her it's going to be 2! I can see how some moms might feel that it's not worth it, especially when you add the fears about risks of autism etc.

I remember back in medical school, we studied this concept called 'herd immunity'. In a nut shell, what it means is if you vaccinate enough kids, then the few who don't get vaccinated won't be able to catch the disease anyway. I guess if you're really convinced that your kid's 'herd' (this includes every single kid your kid is ever going to come in contact with) is fully immunised then it could be a valid argument for not giving your kid the jab. After all, there's been talk about a link between the vaccines and autism. Although I have yet to actually read anything that convinces me of a definite link. Circumstantial evidence, Your Honour...

When I weigh up the risks of death and permanent disability versus the risk of getting autism, which kids can get anyway, I tend to come down in favour of hauling her to the doctor when the guidelines say I should. This of course, is my opinion only, and I know parents who are vehemently against vaccinations of any sort. And that's up to them. Like I always say, you can but do the best you can for your kids, there will always be people who think they know better. And who won't be afraid of telling you either...

No comments: