Tuesday 6 October 2009

Well, it's been 6 years 6 months and a handful of days since I was in gainful employment. Do I miss it? You bet! I miss the intellectual challenge of diagnosing something, I miss the patient contact, I miss the lovely, padded bank account that having a good salary gives you. The fact that I never had any time to spend it is, of course, besides the point... I miss the fancy free, drop everything and go on a hot date lifestyle... I miss a LOT!!!
However... I now have a wonderful kid who's a joy to be with, who challenges me non stop, who makes me feel that all those things that I missed so much, actually don't amount to anything all that important after all. Oh yes..., I also enjoy having more time with my husband. No more dropping everything for a hot weekend away though. Any outing, no matter how short, involves planning to rival Napoleaon. Who's going to be there? Make sure they have all 4 phone numbers that hubby and I have (2 for him, 2 for me). Emergency procedures in case of sudden coughs, fevers, injuries, sky falling down... We left her, once, for a supposed dirty overnighter away, but realistically speaking, once we had organized my mom to kidsit, and left all the pertinent information etc etc... Forget dirty, I just wanted some uninterrupted sleep!
So, to all those folks out there who are like me, missing the fancy free lifestyle, I feel for you... But hey, when your kid wakes up singing 'Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day. I've got a beautiful feeling, everything's going my way...", isn't it all just suddenly bearable?

No comments: